Monday 4 November 2013

microsurgery

And the winner is ... FIIA!

She has been the biggest puppy for most of the daily weigh-ins and she was the first to hit the 1 kilo mark too.  What's funny is that only one clever person voted for Mini and she was only 12 grams behind Fiia on the 1 kilo day with all of the boys trailing behind in the 900s. 


*                          *                       *


Big toes, little toes


One of the weekly chores that starts at the one-week-old mark is the Cutting of the Claws.  Yes, that's right, we're back on the subject of toes.  Don't complain, it could be worse - it could be diarrhea again.

This job, performed on the tiniest of dog paws, requires tools of almost microscopic proportions.  Not to mention reading glasses.  In fact, my reading glasses no longer seem to be quite up to the job, so I may have to break down and get one of those excruciatingly unstylish magnifying sets they sell in supermarkets and chemists.   And, no, I won't be sharing that look with you.

Although, as befits any Taito offspring, these puppies have rather larger paws than others have had at this age.  But still, even with "big" one-week-old paws, we're talking about miniscule little dog feet.  And with the wiggling, it can be pretty tricky.  The Pippuri puppies were all done without event and I didn't even get peed on once!

Care and patience required.  Lots of patience.

















Wiggly
















And interference doesn't help


















2 comments:

Karen White said...

I would be terrified cutting puppy nails - though I used to hold flattie pups while their breeder did the cutting. My eyes aren't up to the job either even with reading glasses. However you've given me an idea for big dogs nail cutting; my Optivisor that I used for detailed drawing. (and no, it isn't an attractive look)

Jennifer said...

Great idea Karen! I was going to try Jay's magnifying glass he uses for soldering electronics but that would require the puppy keeping still... so not very practical :-)