Wednesday 11 December 2013

firsts

You might think that by the time one reaches a 6th litter of one breed of dog, that most of the 'firsts' would have come and gone.  But it seems there are still one or two things that pop up to surprise me with each litter, and this one is no exception.

As I've discussed earlier on this blog, these are not the first water babies I've had, but they are certainly the most dedicated.  I think it's the first time I've seen any puppies carrying the (empty!) outside water bowl around (Talvi, Tito).  And it is certainly the first time any puppy has climbed into the full bowl.  It has happened on a few occasions; Kai with head and both front paws in the bowl (many times), Tito trying to get all four paws into the bowl at once (most amusing), any of them digging away in the water.  But I've captured puppy-in-bowl on film only once, and then, not wonderfully.  But you get an idea.

























Don't think for a second that this was a fleeting moment luckily captured on camera.  Oh no.  Kaito was standing there up to his knees in water long enough for me to (a) notice (b) get up off the sofa (c) grab my phone (d) set it to camera mode and (e) finally get the photo.

It's the first time that I've come downstairs to a completely clean pen first thing in the morning and all the puppies yelled and did their wees and poos outside.  

It's also certainly not the first time I've managed to get puppy poo under my nails.  I don't know what it is this time - extra tired, extra poorly coordinated, extra hurried - but this time I seem to have a particular knack for sticking my nails through the poo bags or paper towels.  At any rate, these days I frequently have puppy poo under my nails.  And I struggle even with the sensation of hand cream under my nails, so poo doesn't go down well at all.  My poor hands are like sandpaper from all the washing.  It's an excellent excuse for a manicure.   Rest assured I won't tell the manicurist where my nails have been.

And in case you were worrying I was going to subject you to photographic evidence of the trials and tribulations of my nails, fear not.   We shall move swiftly on to something more savoury. 

It is the first time I have had a dam who so enjoyed her puppies and spent so much time playing with them.  Although Neka has always played with her grandkids, she never ever played with her own puppies.  And I'm not sure either of her daughters played with their puppies either.  But every day Tuuli spends some time in the pen just enjoying her puppies, and I have to say it's completely adorable. And it can only be good experiences and lessons for the babies. 

What is definitely a first for me, though, is witnessing Tuuli weaning the puppies.  Obviously I've been weaning them gradually since they were two-and-a-half weeks old, but it's absolutely fascinating to watch Tuuli with them at 6 and 7 weeks old.  She will jump in and let them suck from her just for a minute or two and then she growls a little to get them off.  She also jumps in after her breakfast and regurgitates (that's vomiting to you and me) some of her meal for them.  It sounds disgusting, perhaps, but it's absolutely natural and exactly the way a wild dog - or indeed a wolf - would feed growing babies.  None of my gang have ever done that before. 

And, for your enjoyment, a few random shots of puppies playing.

Kai carrying stuff


















Kaito carrying stuff
















Kai and Talvi being good


















Fiia being good



















Tito funny face

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Playing with puppies yes, but regurgitating food for them, no, never had that! Have you broken it to Tuuli that she'll not get to keep her very own plaything? :-( Gosh, you are going to miss these little cuties.

Jennifer said...

I think Tuuli and I are both going to miss them! Not to mention Neka...