Thursday 2 February 2012

how to take good dog pictures

Now you know I know I need this lesson.  Animals are tough to capture well in photos. Even the people who do it well admit to taking hundreds to get a few good ones. I take hundreds to get, maybe, one good one.  If I have a bit of luck too.

It helps to have a good camera so that you can maximise the lighting, detail and the greater shutter speed of the new DSLRs.  I have a good camera.  However, I have yet to acquaint myself with the finer points of its operation.  I still use it like a point-and-shoot.  But, y'know, it's good for that too.

Nylabone on their blog have produced this handy guide to taking good pictures of dogs.  There is some great advice in there.  There is also some advertising in there (our great Nylabone products, etc).  However, if you don't mind the advertising - and I don't because I quite like Nylabone products so I'm happy to do a bit of product promotion on their behalf - then it's well worth a read if you're struggling with your canine model.

It's also well worth a read if you're soon to get a new puppy and that puppy's breeder will be waiting eagerly for photo updates.  Just sayin'.

The best advice I can offer for getting photos of dogs is to have friends who are better acquainted with their cameras than you are and who take great photos that you can use.




Thank you to James Henson for this great photo of Maija, puppy-who-was-never-still.















This one is courtesy of Joanne Ross.
L-R: Rauhan, Sulo, Tarkka, Aurinko















This is one of the best photos ever taken of Keskiyo, captured by Jay with our then-brand-new DSLR camera.  But I'm not going to say it was a lucky shot.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for all the posts recently - have been enjoying them.

Each day has had something that will hopefully prove to be invaluable in a few months.... Oh and I have a DSLR, wink wink!!! ;-)

Andy

Jennifer said...

Thanks - glad to hear it - it's a useful way to be able to drip feed information to people instead of dumping it all on you at once! As I recall, you're quite good with your camera too - would you like to visit sometime? ;-)

Anonymous said...

Sorry, didn't see your reply as Blogger doesn't notify. I wouldn't say I'm that good with a camera - early days yet!

We wouldn't say no to visiting, but with the unpredictable travel conditions & our busy-ness completing making the house puppy-safe some last pieces of DIY, we can't say when right now.

Andy

Jennifer said...

I find it's around the 4-week-old mark when no one can resist a visit lol. Conveniently, that's when the puppies are first ready for visitors too!

Jennifer said...

PS. With Blogger I think you have to tick the box requesting emails when others post/reply.