Friday 22 June 2018

the quiraing



Next time I would leave a bit later.  I would eschew the temptation of climbing into a mountain all by myself  at 7:30am and instead I would wait around the start until a few other hikers started up and then I would follow them.  If I figured they knew where they were going, I'd keep them in my sights.  While I was at it, I wouldn't ask for a packed breakfast from the hotel.  Nice as it was, I wouldn't lug my breakfast up to the top of the Quiraing before eating it, I would have a delicious, leisurely hot breakfast at the hotel before starting out.  My cooked breakfast on the second morning was the best meal I had in Skye.

Next time I would try to have a set of instructions I knew how to follow.  I would ask if they're up-to-date and whether it was a typo where it said "the path looks steep, slippery and precarious.  But it's much worse than it looks."  I would try to find out whether the "easier to navigate" option has a path that has been swept away down the cliff face.  I would try to find this out before finding myself stuck on my butt on a slippery near-vertical drop, unable to go forward and too scared to go back, as it would require moving.  (I did eventually crawl back up on my hands and knees, grabbing rocks and heather and roots and anything I could reach to stop myself tumbling down the face of the mountain.)  Sound scary?  Oh, indeed it was.  In fact, I've rarely had quite such a fright.





Next time I would try to avoid doing whatever it was I did to cause this bruise


and these

Next time I would definitely take the 3-ish-hour circular hike from and back to a car park like everyone else.  I would not go for a 6-hour point-to-point walk leaving me far from my car with a busted up ankle.

Next time I would figure out how many layers I needed to take and then I would not take the extra one, just in case.  I would leave a a little space in my ruck sack so that I didn't have to carry unnecessary things for 20 km.

Next time I would probably go a little easier on the bug spray.  Or a lot easier.  Until I had figured out whether I needed it, at least.   And next time I would advise the Scandanavian guy I passed on his way up to do the same, because he smelled exactly like me.  Poor sod.



Next time I doubt I will enjoy the shower back at the hotel quite so much.  It's just not possible.  Next time I probably also wouldn't enjoy the cup of instant coffee as much either, because that was the very best one ever.

Next time I won't hesitate a few kilometres before sticking out my thumb to hitchhike back to Uig and my car because I was picked up by the very first car that came along and after he dropped me off, the third next one picked me up and took me all the way back.  Big thanks to the local guy on his way to catch a fish for his dinner and the (?)Spanish couple who spoke very little English but were so generous.  Oh, and next time I see a hitchhiking hiker lugging a rucksack, I will definitely pick them up. 



Next time I will know that Uig is pronounced Ooo-weeg.  Not Weeg, like the woman at the service station said.  And definitely not Ugg, which I'm pretty sure is the way it sounded in my head before I arrived.

Next time I will appreciate every minute of the warm, sunny day.  And be grateful I chose this day for the Quiraing.  And for the long slog up the hill to pick up the car where I left it when one of the great guys at Skye Wilderness Safaris drove me the 20+ km to the start of the hike.  

Next time I wouldn't talk all over the cuckoo hooting in the background.  Having said that, there were cuckoos hooting the whole time.  And other birds of the chirping variety.  I didn't get to see an eagle, though, alas.  At least, not on this hike because I didn't make it over to the north side of the Quiraing where, apparently, they hang out. 



Next time is tomorrow.  If I can walk on that ankle.


No comments: