Monday 17 October 2016

welcome



I was blithely whiling away the day at a show in deepest Cornwall where the handsome Loki beat his sister Ulla to Best of Breed and Pastoral Group 2.  Lucky he didn't win Group 1, really, because I would have missed the Best in Show challenge.  As I was packing up to go home, I had a text message from Jay to say that Tuuli had vomited.  Based on past experience, that meant her puppies were coming within hours.  I sent him back a message saying I was on my way.  As I rushed back home, dropping dogs off with their families along the way, Jay called to say that he thought Tuuli was having contractions.  I think I made it home in record time.

I went in the door, had a wash & a change of clothes before going anywhere near Tuuli and then we settled down to wait for the puppies.  We didn't have long to wait before the first one arrived.  It took a very reasonable 2 hours for her to produce the 3 puppies, and then I spent the next several hours waiting for the other 2 to make up the 5 predicted by the ultrasound scan Tuuli had a month ago.

I never argue with nature, because nature knows what's it's doing.  So if Tuuli re-absorbed 2 or even 3 puppies, then I'm just really grateful for the 3 strong, healthy ones.

This bunch were born under the biggest, brightest full moon imaginable, so they will be the "full moon" puppies - "Täysikuu" in Finnish.

First out was the boy with ALL the white - you can't really see it well from the photo, but you will see it better in future pics as he develops.  I think he's going to have markings very much like his dad, so he is going to be called Little Arvo.  Arvo is Finnish for "value" or "worth".

Next out was the girl who is called Tähti, which is Finnish for "star".  She's more black and tan like her mum than black and white but, just to be clear - Little Arvo has the white star on his forehead, not the girl called Star.  Is that confusing enough?

Finally, came the second boy who I think will also have bright markings.   He's going to be called Kuu, Finnish for "moon".


LITTLE ARVO
TÄHTI


KUU

 Welcome, full moon Täysikuu puppies!

Here is the first photo of mama and babies.  Tuuli is enjoying having only 3 puppies so much.





















1 comment:

Liz said...

Lovely babies and lovely names for them all. I shall enjoy reading your blog and watching them grow up! Good job Tuuli!