Tuesday 25 March 2014

happy birthday to neka

Photo: Mark Treasure

 My Neka is 10 years old today.  My love affair with Lappies started with Neka.  I saw a photo in a dog book of a breed I'd never heard of before.  When I eventually got my own Finnish Lapphund she was exactly what I was hoping for - and grand-daughter of the book model who had caught my eye originally.

She is my pride and joy and the source of my occasional mortification.  She is clever and funny, stubborn and infuriating, and she makes me laugh everyday.  She has a wonderful way with other dogs - friendly but not a pest, submissive when necessary, and she's the one wading in to break up the fisticuffs anytime other dogs have an altercation.  She was a fabulous mother and is now an amazing granny, and my puppies are all extremely lucky to have her in their lives, keeping them all super-clean and teaching them how to play with toys.  
I'm delighted that her mother, Lumiturpa Pigga, is still going strong at the age of 15-and-a-half, and I'm counting on Neka racking up at least that many years.   As she is still mistaken for a puppy by people we meet, I'm hoping her youthful joie de vivre carries her through many more years to come.

Happy birthday Neka-noo, my Moo.

"I've put up with the brushing, now where is my liver treat?"

And here's how cute she was at 10 weeks.




No comments: