Sunday 26 April 2009

more WELKS

I'm delighted that the other Emma & her hubby Andrew have moved down to the westcountry where we get to see them more often and where I can get my sticky fingers on Taito. Emma hasn't been able to get to very many shows as yet, but with them now living more or less between me and all the champ shows of the year, I foresee Taito appearing in the ring a great deal more often than he has done in the past.

After I had piloted Rauhan around the ring a few times, I was warmed up (and then some) and it was Taito's turn. Yet another wonderful boy, having inherited the best of both his parents - Neka's flashy markings and outstanding temperment and his father, Elbereth Kimmi's gorgeous physique. Here he is being shown not-so-expertly by yours truly.
















I was quite impressed at Crufts with Emma M's expert showing of Taito and I couldn't understand why he wouldn't stand perfectly on demand for me. Little did I know that Emma has her own intricate, not to say idiosyncratic, method of training which at no point involves the use of the word 'stand'. How was I to know the poor dog had no idea what I was on about?

At any rate, he's a very clever thing (with a conveniently motivational appetite for sausages) and by the end of it, he was getting the hang of this 'stand' business. He won his class as well, in spite of a few, er, complications. The judge looked at him and said "Why don't you move as good as you look?"

An excellent question, I thought! Because the last time I had been on the outside of the ring watching Taito move, he had the free and open gait of his mother who, in my view, has some of the best moves in the business. Normally they move like they're on wheels. So I ran with him fast, I trotted with him slowly, but no matter what I did, he was still like a sack of potatoes. What was Emma's secret? I wondered.

After the judging was done and dusted and we were taking the dogs for a walk around the showground, I got my answer. Away from all the crowds, Taito heaved a great sigh of relief and had an enormous poo. Ah, so that's why I couldn't get him to move well. Who could blame him? After that, he was back to his old self, gliding along as if on air.

I have well and truly learned my lesson. When you go to a dog show, look out for the increasingly desperate people hopefully walking their dogs in circles as the clock ticks down the minutes to the time they are due in the ring. But don't laugh.

Here is Taito concentrating hard on the sausage in my hand as we pack him and Neka into the car after the show. Neka has learned that a big grin will take her far in life.
















And so I have added Rauhan & Taito to my list of Crufts-qualified dogs this year. It's looking like we're on a bit of a roll, and now I'm looking forward to the next show in a fortnight where I get to meet up with Keksi and Tarkka, and their families, all of whom I haven't seen for ages.

No comments: