Saturday 21 February 2009

some shows do go on

It must be spring. My garden pond is full of frogs. No, really, I mean full. And it's the lush proliferation of wildlife in my pond that provides my quite valid excuse for not dredging the weed-choked pothole, clearing it up and cleaning it out. I don't want to ruin the gloriously fertile environment it obviously provides for all those frogs and toads and newts. Yes, newts. And they're an endangered species, you know. With their habitat declining all over Europe, I see it as my duty to leave my sluggish, dank little pond - and its newt population - alone.

And with spring comes all the crocuses & snowdrops and no more snow, of course. So today's Devon dog show, the Ilfracombe & District CS Open went steaming ahead as planned. Although I forgot to enter any of my dogs, Tarkka was there at 6.5 months in the ring for the very first time. I don't think he's ever even been to ringcraft. And if you know Jo, you'd have been amazed at how nervous she was. But she did a great job as you can see from this rather blurry action shot.

















Tarkka on his grooming table before his big debut.

















One of the hardest things about dog showing is convincing the show dog that looking at your hand is more interesting than sniffing the floor. Uh huh.















The judge was very nice to Tarkka and patient with him, which is always a bonus for your first show. However, I don't think she was a fan of the breed. It was a big Not Separately Classified class with Corgies, Lancashire Heelers, German Shepherds and the like. Neither Tarkka nor the only other Lapphund present, Kippis, placed.

At around the same time, it was a very different story at Maidenhead & District CS Open. The Inky Dink (otherwise known as Inko, LMP or her posh name, Infindigo Monta Aurinko) had a very different day under judge Mrs Jenny Miller. She placed 1st in AVNSC Pastoral Junior then was awarded Best Puppy AVNSC and Puppy Group 3. Woo hoo! Wasn't that only Inko's second show ever? I'll bet Paula flew all the way home. With a bit of luck there will be a few photos of her big day on her blog later. For now, here she is at the SFLS Lappy walk at Hankley Common a couple of weeks ago.














In the meantime, last week all the way up in Scotland at Coatbridge, Airdrie & District CC Open Wendy & Karhu got that special first first under judge Ms M Ross. After nabbing Best AVNSC Pastoral, he then placed 4th in the Group. Here he is with his rosettes wondering what all the fuss is about.















Neka should be so proud of all her babies! I know I am - can you tell?

2 comments:

Adam and Paula said...

We didn't manage to get any pics during the showing (I got Adam to sit a bit away from the ring so that Inko didn't spot her daddy and get distracted!!) But have put a posting and pic of her with her rosettes on our blog :)

Adam and Paula said...

Forgot to include our 'very well done' to Kahru in the last comment :)

Paula, Adam and Inko