Tuesday 13 January 2009

chew dig destroy

Neka and Keskiyo both love to dig when they get a chance, and Maija is the best digger in the bunch (if you want to put a positive spin on it...) Every puppy loves to dig and sand is the best digging medium around. Inko has her own sandbox and here is Tarkka head-first in his modest hole.

'I know Australia is around here somewhere.'

Having been banned from the garden for similar behaviour, Maija has now taken to digging the sofa cushions instead. No, of course the dogs are not allowed on the sofa (anymore). Nonetheless, everytime we turn our back, she's up there ripping out chunks of foam and running off in glee with her prize. To be fair, she didn't start the sofa-digging, that distinction is reserved for Keskiyo who, also as a puppy, scratched the first tiny hole through the leather of the cushion. Then it really took a dive when I left the very pregnant Neka for 20 minutes to pick Jay up from work. When we got back, she was having contractions and had settled in her emergency nest in the cushion surrounded by ripped up foam. But we've been living with it until Maija discovered her new favorite game.

Luckily, there was an excellent sofa in the sales last weekend.

And I'm considering covering the cushions in fine sand paper. Not very cozy for curling up watching DVDs, it's true. But think of the time I'll save in trimming claws.

There is something certainly just as good as, if not better than, digging - chewing shoes. And socks. But preferably shoes. Maija has been roared at enough times now to drop shoes on command. Finally. Perhaps some day she'll lose her fascination with them altogether. But, unless I'm very much mistaken, here is a puppy not only chewing a shoe, but being photographed doing it rather than told off. What a lucky puppy!

You can see he knows he's lucky - look at the smile on his face. What a cutie.

But, who is he?

If I hadn't known, I wouldn't have known (if you follow my meaning...) There he is looking for all the world like his mum and half-brother Taito. And of all the puppies, he's the one I was quite sure would look exactly like his dad, especially when I saw this lovely photo of him & Sukka with the Katy & Hattie on the xmas card I got from Emma. (Apologies to the girls for chopping their heads off, but I don't like to publish photos of people without their permission & I haven't asked for permission to use this one.)


That's right, this is Rauhan, of all puppies! He still has the tan legs like is dad, but he's definitely got his mum's bright white face and little grin. Comparing the two photos, would you guess it was the same puppy? I don't think I would.

4 comments:

MrsG said...

Great photos Jen! Looks like everyone had fun on the Lappy walk. Neka must be so proud to have such gorgeous offspring!
Hope to meet you all on a walk someday (hopefully this year)-Nikkiy.

Jennifer said...

Thank you Nikkiy. I can't really take credit for the photos, as Jo took most of them :-) However, I picked the best ones LOL. Lappy get togethers are always fun - hope to meet you at one before very long.

Anonymous said...

I say hello from Finland with my dog Allu! You have very nice looking lapphunds and the photos of them are great. I specialy like the running photos on beach. Good winter for you! (And sorry my bad english..)

Jennifer said...

Hei Leila & Allu. So nice to hear from you! Your English is much better than my Finnish :-) As far as cold temperatures & snow go, we are lucky with the weather in the UK most of the time. This year is a little different - look out for the next blog instalment :-)